2009年10月27日 星期二

What Will Matter- 人生價值所在

收到一則圖文並茂的投影片,還有好聽的配樂,內文經過查證,原來是Michael Josephson在2003年所寫的 “What will matter”,由Josephson Institute of Ethics 所發行,讀後發人深省。然而這篇文章的中文翻譯就是網路上所流傳的,與原文的精髓似有所出入,難免有未竟其功之憾,因而根據所體會的,重新整理並上傳到slideshare。或許是由於電腦技巧之不足,配樂和自動播放功能都消失了,但無傷於字句珠璣的傳頌。



這首詩的原文和重新整理後的中文翻譯如下:

“What Will Matter” 人生價值所在

Ready or not, someday it will all come to an end.
不管準備好了沒, 總有到盡頭的一天,

There will be no more sunrises, no minutes, hours or days.
到時不再有晨昏晝夜,沒有分秒,

All the things you collected, whether treasured or forgotten, will pass to someone else.
你所有的事物,無論珍藏的或己遺忘的,終將留給別人,

Your wealth, fame and temporal power will shrivel to irrelevance.
你的財富、名望和一時的權力將萎縮到無足輕重,

It will not matter what you owned or what you were owed.
無論你欠人或被欠的都將一筆勾銷。

Your grudges, resentments, frustrations, and jealousies will finally disappear.
你的怨恨、憤怒、挫折和忌妒最後都會消失殆盡,

So, too, your hopes, ambitions, plans, and to-do lists will expire.
同樣的,你的希望、抱負、計畫和執行細節都將期滿失效。

The wins and losses that once seemed so important will fade away. 一度看來相當重要的輸贏將褪隱遠離,

It won’t matter where you came from, or on what side of the tracks you lived on at the end.
你從何而來,或你先前的足跡到了哪裡,到頭來己不再重要。

It won’t matter whether you were beautiful or brilliant.
無論你曾經美麗或聰明都不要緊,

Even your gender and skin color will be irrelevant.
甚至你的性別和膚色也沒有關係。

So what will matter?
那麼究竟什麼才是值得重視的呢?

How will the value of your days be measured?
你存在時的價值將如何被衡量?

What will matter is not what you bought, but what you built;
重要的將不是你所購置的,而在於你構築了什麼,

not what you got, but what you gave.
不是你所獲得的,而是你曾付出了哪些。

What will matter is not your success, but your significance.
重要的不在於你的成功,而是你的重要性,

What will matter is not what you learned, but what you taught.
不是你學到哪些,而是你傳授了什麼。

What will matter is every act of integrity, compassion, or sacrifice重要的是你一切正直、悲憫、或犧牲的作為,

that enriched, empowered or encouraged others to emulate your example.
所滋潤、扶持或鼔舞的其他人,都能跟你看齊。

What will matter is not your competence, but your character.
重要的將不是你的能力,而是你的品格,

What will matter is not how many people you knew,
不是你認識多少人,

but how many will feel a lasting loss when you’re gone.
而是你走後能讓多少人追思逾恆。

What will matter is not your memories,
重要的不是你的回憶,

but the memories of those who loved you.
而是愛你的人心裡的記憶。

What will matter is how long you will be remembered, by whom and for what.
重要的是你能讓人記得多久、是哪些人、理由又在哪裡。

Living a life that matters doesn’t happen by accident.
活在有意義的人生當中絕非偶然,

It’s not a matter of circumstance but of choice.
也和環境無關,而是出自你的選擇。

Choose to live life with matters.
盼你能挑個活得有意義的人生!

Josephson Institute of Ethics 是個非營利組織,提供許多教化課程,致力於”建構一個決策和行為由道德所引導的世界”,和這裡默默耕耘的圓桌類似,圓桌是把一套「人的使用手冊」,規劃出四階課程,藉著努力把愛傳出去,最終目摽是「禮運大同篇」的社會,兩者從人本質的覺醒、引導性靈改造,乃至於努力的最終目的,可說是不謀而合。不同的是圓桌歡迎報名上課,不接受捐款。

Josephson Institute在Facebook也有個帳號叫CHARACTER COUNTS! ,粉絲近1,500位;至於圓桌在本地、或是美國東西岸、大馬、大陸、澳洲等地開課時,慕名者絡繹於途,想報名上課的往往要排隊等候。無論中西社會共同的現象,就是有許多個人,無論是由於機遇或有意識的追尋,開始有了內省,逐漸具體而微成就在自我品格的提升,有所為、有所不為,並彰顯於利他的實踐,能得到更多人的認同,終必促成社會的覺醒和進化,子曰君子之德風的涵義就在其中。在上位者能有所認知尤為重要,不只是編列鉅額品德教育經費而已。

What will matter” a poem by Michael Josephson, Josephson Institute of Ethics, 2003

沒有留言: